Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Canning Time!

Last week, I had a bunch of bags of apples that needed to be preserved because they were at the end of their lives. I think I counted about 30-40 apples here.

What do you do what that amount? Usually I have more than that and make a day of it. Apple Pie filling, apple sauce, apple butter.

Well, I made applesauce. This time, I added a spicey little twist to it. My mother in law suggested it, and it was the best batch of applesauce I ever made.

I peeled and cored the apples, added a cup of red hots, a little bit of sugar and a cup of water and simmered on high for 4 hours. Then I ran it through the food processor and canned it all up.


Yep, red hots! So good, and not surprisingly, kind of difficult to find it August! If you are local, I found them for about 2 dollars a bag at Fry's.


Very red, but very good.


Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails