Time to start gardening! What are your plans for this year? Going all out? Doing a little bit? Changing it up? Or skipping it completely?
My plan was to skip it completely. I have more than enough on my plate right now. But, I (or should I say, my husband) was bit by the Springtime Bug and that was that.
Previously, we had up a pvc pipe garden shade with a raised bed boxed garden. Well. 1. PVC pipes around our food is NOT appealing. 2. it wasn't deep enough 3. it was a mess. So today, my sweet husband built up the garden, built a new structure of shade from wood and added more dirt to raise it up a bit more. We transplanted a few plants, and will be adding some new seeds this week. Last year, I planted a big huge garden, only to get pregnant and have it sadly neglected. I also think I overcrowded everything in there.
This year, we are doing:
- Herbs; because they are so very easy to grow and I already have a few in there
- tomatoes; because they actually grew last year
- strawberries, because I try every year
- lettuce; requested by my oldest
- carrots; requested by my middle
- and a "salsa" mix of 6 different veggies, because it was a kit and looked like I could handle it.
- I may add garlic and potatoes, because I have them started.
Also, we have lemons, blood oranges, pink lemonade lemons and blackberries already going. Those don't really count, since we aren't starting it. Sam's Club has some nice avocado trees we had our eyes on, but I am hesitant on spending on an avocado tree if it's not going to grow well here.
Let's see how much I can kill....I mean, keep alive this year. My husband is claiming he will have more of a part in it, so here's hoping to "see some fruit" from our labor!
And because I don't have any pictures of the garden to share yet, and you can't blog without a picture, here's a bad picture of a blackberry growing on the bush.