Thursday, July 3, 2008

I guess that mean I am bringing in the dough...

hehe. Ok not really. But I do want to share what I made yesterday.

I love making bread, my family loves it when I make bread, and our wallet does too!

Here is the recipe I use every time:

Basic White Bread
from the Kitchen Aid Mixer Manual
(yes, the manual recipe.)

1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter
or margarine
2 packages active dry
yeast
11⁄2 cups warm water
(105°F to 115°F)
5-6 cups all-purpose
flour

Place milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan.
Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar
dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer
bowl. Add lukewarm milk mixture and 41⁄2 cups
flour. Attach bowl and PowerKnead™ Spiral Dough
Hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about
1 minute.

Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1⁄2 cup
at a time, and mix about 11⁄2 minutes, or until
dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Knead on
Speed 2 about 2 minutes longer, or until dough is
smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to
the touch.

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about
1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each
half into a loaf, as directed on page 55, and place
in greased 81⁄2x41⁄2x21⁄2-inch baking pans. Cover. Let
rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or
until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes, or until golden
brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on
wire racks.

Yield: 32 servings (16 slices per loaf).
Per serving: About 95 cal, 3 g pro, 18 g carb,
1 g fat, 0 mg chol, 148 mg
Pin It

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm hungry.

Swasey family said...

sounds great I will have to give it a try I've made it a goal this month to start making ALL of our bread!

sherry said...

mmmmmm warm bread out of the oven just love it. Especially with fresh homemade strawberry jam.

Michelle Devine said...

I have tried so many times to make bread and fail horribly. I will have to try your recipe though. Maybe this time it will work;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails